Assets managed by the world’s largest 500 fund managers rose by 16% in 2009 to US$62 trillion at the end of the year. This is in contrast to a 23% loss the year before, according to the Pensions & Investments / Towers Watson World 500 ranking. The research also shows that although the percentage rise in total assets in 2009 is the second largest since the research began in 1996, asset levels are still below 2006 levels. In addition, during the past five years only half of the fastest growing firms have done so in a primarily organic way, with the other half doing so by merger or acquisition.
Top 10 Global Asset Managers
Barclays Global Investors
1. Barclay's is a leading global wealth management firm, and has offices in 20 countries. The company also provides retail, corporate banking and investment banking.
State Street Global Advisors--SSGA
2. SSGA has 28 locations worldwide, with assets under management worth $1.8 trillion. The company is the world's second largest asset manager.
3. Fidelity Investments was founded in 1969, and provides asset management services to clients around the world. The company manages over $200 billion in assets for private investors and institutions.
The Vanguard Group
4. The Vanguard Group is based in Malvern, Pennsylvania, and manages assets worth $1.4 trillion. The company provides over 200 stock bonds as well as variable annuity portfolios.
JP Morgan Asset Management
5. JP Morgan is a leading provider of asset management services to individuals, institutions and financial intermediaries. The company offers full spectrum asset classes.
Capital Research and Management Company
6. Founded in 1931, the Capital Group provides asset management services in North America, Europe and Asia. The company has 22 offices worldwide.
Deutsche Asset Management
7. Deutsche Bank is a leading provider of financial services, and is headquartered in Frankfurt, Germany. The company specializes in private wealth management, and also provides retail banking services around the world.
Northern Trust Global Investments
8. Founded in 1889 by Byron Laflin Smith, Northern Trust Global Investments has $603 billion in assets under management and is based in Chicago. Through its subsidiaries the investment firm provides a wide array of products and services to United States and international clients.
UBS Global Asset Management
9. Headquartered in Zurich, Switzerland, UBS provides investment services to private, corporate and institutional clients and has offices in 50 countries. UBS Wealth Management is the largest private bank in the world and has over $540 billion in assets under management.
Alliance Capital Management
10. Alliance Capital Management is based in New York and provides diversified investment products to private clients and institutions. The company has approximately $458 billion in assets under management.